Skip to main content

Your test results require additional scans

I recently discovered that the most terrifying possible letter from a doctor contains those words.

Until that point, I was smug. I was full of my own pursuit of health, of my certainty that the hard work I've done for decades in terms of eating well, stress management, exercise would render me bulletproof.

It didn't.

So when I read those dreaded words, my heart stopped. My blood pressure rose. My stomach felt like a giant hand had squeezed it hard and had no intention of letting go anytime soon.

I catastrophized. Within a day of processing the message I had battled and lost to breast cancer. My children were motherless. My husband was without his wife. In one scenario I concocted late at night he had remarried, and seemed much happier than I had ever made him.  

My imagination coupled with my medical knowledge did me no favors.  The emotional shit show that resulted during my reaction was ridiculous. Exhausting. In technicolor. Ruthless.

One week after those words I underwent additional scans. Core mammogram. Ultrasound. The definition of the time between the mammogram, while only measured in approximately 20 minutes, felt like an eternity.

During the week between the words, and the additional scans, I learned that I truly love my life, and that I am in no way ready to exit stage left, gracefully or otherwise. I learned that the thought of spending no more time with my offspring renders me speechless and scooped out emotionally. There is so much more to do, to say, to share. And I am NOT ready to not have that.  I learned that I am, from a career standpoint, happier than I have ever been. I love what I do, where I do it, and with whom I do it.

Sometimes it's important to be reminded of what matters, of where your real priorities lie. That reminder can be excruciating, as I found.

Once the ultrasound was complete, there was more waiting. About 10 minutes, this time. When the tech returned from her consult with the radiologist (the person who issued those first words yet a week back), I felt like I might stroke out right there on the the table before she even opened her mouth.

"Well, just as I thought, it's only a small, benign, fluid filled cyst that has actually shrunk in size since your first mammogram three weeks ago. The radiologist agrees, and believes no follow up care is required, that you can go on with your life and just return next year for your regular mammogram."

She smiled at me, patted me on the shoulder, and handed me a kleenex to catch the tears that were rolling down my cheeks.

I dodged a bullet, and know it. 

I was reminded of where my heart lies, how much love I have in my life, and how many blessings I have.  I didn't know I needed, and I know I certainly never would have asked for a reminder that poignant and painful, but I am thankful for it nonetheless.

My new favorite words? "No follow up care is required, and you can go on with your life..."

On I go.  With thanks.

Huge hugs and much love,

Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The space between

Another term has come to an end, finals behind us now, a slight pause between terms underway, and another one set to start after Labor Day. This last year presented many challenges, on almost every conceivable level, and as a result the end-term exhaustion felt more profound than in terms past. But recovery is the goal, now, as is rejuvenation and contemplation of what's been learned so far. And there has been a whole, whole lot. I'm told that true appreciation of this medicine will occur after graduation and board exams are behind us, that once we get a chance to breathe a bit, then focus on aspects of this great discipline that capture our attention or are driven by patient cases, we'll begin to truly appreciate the nuances and elegance that comprise the ancient practice of OM. For now glimpses of that beauty emerge and promise greater opportunity once the foundational aspects have been laid and we are practicing. One more year to go, then boards. 3/4 of the

My but time flies!

To say the last year has flown wouldn't be entirely accurate. There have been sections of it that have sped by at the speed of light and others which have felt interminable. There have been segments, weeks, which have felt like molasses in terms of progress, a term I wouldn't have freely chosen at those moments. I am officially at the halfway mark in the program, and discovered about halfway through last term that there is, in fact, a wall of sorts into which some of us crash, almost audibly, some more quietly, but crashing there is. Fortunately said crash did no lasting damage, and for me the realization of having completed nearly half of the necessary coursework buoyed sufficiently for me navigate the remainder of the term and exit without too many additional (or at least visible) scars. New term has begun, and with it comes the daily pressure to study, always, and stay focused, always, and expand the consciousness while creating a strong foundation with this medicine.

Future Dawning

Life offers up opportunities, some of which we forgo for many reasons, and some we examine and contemplate and consider, and occasionally, we seize. For me the opportunity is studying Oriental Medicine. My life has blessed me in many ways, and I count the journey of becoming a practitioner of Oriental Medicine among the most profound. Anyone who is familiar with Oriental Medicine and what it entails and represents will understand this implicitly. Anyone who is new to the subject will, over time, should they choose to accompany me on this journey...understand at some point how this directional shift represents for me a way to develop my passion for nurturing and healing in a discipline that spans over three millennia. And that resonates on a deep philosophical level for me, which is key to mustering the energy and stamina required to pursue a goal of this magnitude. Why now? Why this? When I entered college in the early '80's I intended to go to medical school to eventu