Skip to main content

Future Dawning

Life offers up opportunities, some of which we forgo for many reasons, and some we examine and contemplate and consider, and occasionally, we seize.

For me the opportunity is studying Oriental Medicine.

My life has blessed me in many ways, and I count the journey of becoming a practitioner of Oriental Medicine among the most profound. Anyone who is familiar with Oriental Medicine and what it entails and represents will understand this implicitly. Anyone who is new to the subject will, over time, should they choose to accompany me on this journey...understand at some point how this directional shift represents for me a way to develop my passion for nurturing and healing in a discipline that spans over three millennia. And that resonates on a deep philosophical level for me, which is key to mustering the energy and stamina required to pursue a goal of this magnitude.

Why now? Why this?

When I entered college in the early '80's I intended to go to medical school to eventually become an OBGYN. As a daughter of two artists, raised in the high, arid, New Mexico desert, I was blessed with unlimited emotional support, which made wishing for a career in medicine seem possible. Also, I have zero artistic talent unless you count my love for cooking, which is significant, but I knew I wouldn't ever become a professional artist like my parents.

Anyway, I made a series of choices that interrupted that goal, but allowed greater life to be experienced, a family to be raised, a rewarding marketing career to flourish, and so on. Admittedly, during some darker times I questioned why I hadn't fought harder for my early medical school goal, and at others I felt as though a latent passion would inevitably remain latent, indefinitely.

But life is strange and beautiful, and occasionally we are presented with moments of stillness and contemplation that result in reshaping ourselves, redefining our goals, and daring to give voice to long-subdued dreams.

I realize now that the pursuit of my dream to heal was always meant to emerge, the timing and focus were simply not when/where I had assumed early in life.

So here I am, finishing my first year of training, preparing to become a student intern in clinic in the coming months, and thanking all of the forces in the universe that persisted in nudging me in this direction, and for my amazing family and dear friends who absolutely positively believe in me no matter what. Without them I never would have begun this journey, and for them I am eternally grateful.

I'm not sure where we'll go with this blog, but I'd like to discuss Oriental Medicine, health care, the politics surrounding health care, life, nutrition, wellness, and any other topics that arise that feel relevant and current and interesting. Over time I'd like to amass a library of information that may serve to answer general, and occasionally very specific topics. I will also invite others who have opinions and experience that they wish to share. I think a variety of perspectives is interesting, and I'm assuming you will as well.

Join me as I explore the road ahead, and please share your thoughts as you peruse mine.

Welcome to Lotus Elementals!

Stephany Toman, aka Stevie, Student of Oriental Medicine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The space between

Another term has come to an end, finals behind us now, a slight pause between terms underway, and another one set to start after Labor Day. This last year presented many challenges, on almost every conceivable level, and as a result the end-term exhaustion felt more profound than in terms past. But recovery is the goal, now, as is rejuvenation and contemplation of what's been learned so far. And there has been a whole, whole lot. I'm told that true appreciation of this medicine will occur after graduation and board exams are behind us, that once we get a chance to breathe a bit, then focus on aspects of this great discipline that capture our attention or are driven by patient cases, we'll begin to truly appreciate the nuances and elegance that comprise the ancient practice of OM. For now glimpses of that beauty emerge and promise greater opportunity once the foundational aspects have been laid and we are practicing. One more year to go, then boards. 3/4 of the

My but time flies!

To say the last year has flown wouldn't be entirely accurate. There have been sections of it that have sped by at the speed of light and others which have felt interminable. There have been segments, weeks, which have felt like molasses in terms of progress, a term I wouldn't have freely chosen at those moments. I am officially at the halfway mark in the program, and discovered about halfway through last term that there is, in fact, a wall of sorts into which some of us crash, almost audibly, some more quietly, but crashing there is. Fortunately said crash did no lasting damage, and for me the realization of having completed nearly half of the necessary coursework buoyed sufficiently for me navigate the remainder of the term and exit without too many additional (or at least visible) scars. New term has begun, and with it comes the daily pressure to study, always, and stay focused, always, and expand the consciousness while creating a strong foundation with this medicine.