Skip to main content

Fast forward 4 yrs, 2 months

I've been caught up in the process of establishing a practice, of working with our amazing medicine and gaining an appreciation for its wisdom and depth.

Since my last missive, a few events have transpired:

1. I graduated from school, navigated the gauntlet of board exams, and became fully licensed and credentialed. And insured. (very important...)

2. I have established a private practice for family and friends only, and have worked in two clinics - one in Albuquerque, one in Bosque Farms.

3. For a time I was working in both the Albuquerque and Bosque Farms clinics;  I've now settled in the Bosque Farms location.

The journey from graduating, credentialing, etc., to now, well it's been intense. And enlightening. And vexing, at times.

Turns out full time patient care requires many skills, as we'd expect, and also the ability to distance onself from the patient and the outcome in order to remain objective, and, presumably, effective.

The art of practicing an ancient and effective medicine in a Western setting has its moments, but mostly, and daily, I have developed an appreciation for the ability of the human body to, when urged, balance and right itself.

I've abandoned the perfectionism that has plagued me my entire life for an appreciation and cultivation of 'new normal', the destination that many patients achieve in spite of chronic pain, suffering, trauma, etc. New normal is where better happens, where improvement is enjoyed, where self-awareness is enhanced.

Setting appropriate expectations, encouraging and facilitating healing without becoming too entangled in the individual process, and understanding the business side of health care are among the activities that characterize my days and weeks and months, now.

I worry.  I worry about making a living, about being the best practitioner I can be, about practicing the medicine in the spirit in which it was intended. I have learned to abandon the fear that accompanies the worry, and to suspend that in favor of adopting a perspective of abundance in all things.

Never before have I applied my spiritual beliefs within my profession, but now seems like the perfect time to blend the two. They're never separate, but declaring them bound feels right at this juncture.

Every day presents challenges, successes, and an opportunity to support human beings as they navigate their health journeys and reach for their individual goals.

I wouldn't be anywhere else, doing anything other than applying the beautiful medicine I've learned. I am, for the first time in my professional life, happy.  Really happy.  And I am going to develop that feeling and deepen my knowledge of this medicine until I am unable to capably perform each day.

And then, knowing me, I'll probably write about it all.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The space between

Another term has come to an end, finals behind us now, a slight pause between terms underway, and another one set to start after Labor Day. This last year presented many challenges, on almost every conceivable level, and as a result the end-term exhaustion felt more profound than in terms past. But recovery is the goal, now, as is rejuvenation and contemplation of what's been learned so far. And there has been a whole, whole lot. I'm told that true appreciation of this medicine will occur after graduation and board exams are behind us, that once we get a chance to breathe a bit, then focus on aspects of this great discipline that capture our attention or are driven by patient cases, we'll begin to truly appreciate the nuances and elegance that comprise the ancient practice of OM. For now glimpses of that beauty emerge and promise greater opportunity once the foundational aspects have been laid and we are practicing. One more year to go, then boards. 3/4 of the

My but time flies!

To say the last year has flown wouldn't be entirely accurate. There have been sections of it that have sped by at the speed of light and others which have felt interminable. There have been segments, weeks, which have felt like molasses in terms of progress, a term I wouldn't have freely chosen at those moments. I am officially at the halfway mark in the program, and discovered about halfway through last term that there is, in fact, a wall of sorts into which some of us crash, almost audibly, some more quietly, but crashing there is. Fortunately said crash did no lasting damage, and for me the realization of having completed nearly half of the necessary coursework buoyed sufficiently for me navigate the remainder of the term and exit without too many additional (or at least visible) scars. New term has begun, and with it comes the daily pressure to study, always, and stay focused, always, and expand the consciousness while creating a strong foundation with this medicine.

Future Dawning

Life offers up opportunities, some of which we forgo for many reasons, and some we examine and contemplate and consider, and occasionally, we seize. For me the opportunity is studying Oriental Medicine. My life has blessed me in many ways, and I count the journey of becoming a practitioner of Oriental Medicine among the most profound. Anyone who is familiar with Oriental Medicine and what it entails and represents will understand this implicitly. Anyone who is new to the subject will, over time, should they choose to accompany me on this journey...understand at some point how this directional shift represents for me a way to develop my passion for nurturing and healing in a discipline that spans over three millennia. And that resonates on a deep philosophical level for me, which is key to mustering the energy and stamina required to pursue a goal of this magnitude. Why now? Why this? When I entered college in the early '80's I intended to go to medical school to eventu